Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Kiwi

Kiwi
Kiwi’s homeland is known as New Zealand, however it was actually first grown in China, and its real name is Chinese gooseberry. This fruit is grown in many European countries but the most appropriate country for Kiwi cultivation is New Zealand due to the climate and the soil. It has an oval and round shape with a rough and feathery outside. Inside it has seeds and it is green with a sweet and sour taste. And today it almost killed me. Well not really. My sister Abby was having some kiwi this afternoon and offered me some. I had never tasted kiwi before so I took a bite. (Just one!) I liked it and quickly decided I was going to start buying them. Until about three minutes later when my mouth filled with sores and my throat closed up. It's a good thing I only took one bite! My brother-in-law took me to get some Benedryl but the pharmacist told me it would dry up my milk if I took very much. That scared me so I decided to wait it out and hope it calmed down. After about an hour it did but it still hurt to swallow. Now I'm totally fine. Isn't it a fun adventure to find out your allergic to something at age 26?!

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is totally crazy!?!? First of all, how do you live 26 years without having Kiwi, and who knew you'd be allergic to it. Do you remember when I used to pretend I was allergic to Pineapple? I just thought it would be so cool to be allergic to something. It's a good thing you didn't know back then, because I'd have to be super jealous! I'm glad you're okay!

Logan and Michelle said...

Whoa, what a scary experience...and just from one bite!!! I am so relieved you're fine now and lived to blog about it!

Colette said...

WOW!!! Thats scary and a weird allergy to just now discover. Thanks for the description.. that must be what it is like for Leyton he just can't explain it yet!!

Hannah said...

Scary! That's insane. That's exactly what happened to Jeph a few months ago, only not kiwi. It was terrifying. I'm sorry you had such a scare but glad you had family there to help you. You did say Abby right? Pregnant Abby? Virginia Abby? Yay for you. I bet you'd sign up for another round of kiwi madness as long as it were with Abby again. :) I'm happy she's here! You probably only see Inara when she's hungry huh? I mean hold, see, whatever. Abby is in heaven I'm sure. Love you!

THE REBER FAMILY said...

Oh my! Thats too bad! I love kiwi's! My sister became pregnant to all fresh fruits and vegetables after her 2nd baby. Weird stuff! I'm glad you are ok.

Cynthia said...

who would've thought you'd find out your alergic to something at age 26?!?!!? it does make for an interesting thing to blog about!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

HOLY CRAP THAT IS FRIGHTENING! Glad you're ok lady!

Anonymous said...

Kiwis also bother me - they cause my tongue to swell.

Joe and Abby and Avonelle said...

I like Hanna's comment. How does she know me so well? I did have to fight Joe for Inara sometimes, and she occationally had to eat. I miss her already.